Liquid vinyl siding is a newer option in the construction world, but do you know anything about it? Its 25-year warranty is not the only reason liquid siding is a good option for the siding of a residence or any other building. The siding is energy efficient, flexible, easy to clean, and water-resistant. The more you read about the material, the more you may want to use it for your home.
This spray-on liquid vinyl siding came to the United States market in 1985. England first developed the spray-on PVC finish as a standard paint replacement. The product can be placed on wood, brick, metal, concrete or traditional vinyl and is available in a variety of colors. If small cracks are present in concrete or brick, the liquid siding can bridge the gap if it is no more than 1/8" across.
- All fixtures attached to or near the home must be removed from the area to have the liquid siding applied. However, landscaping can be protected by other means.
- A contractor must inspect the home's exterior and make an estimate of what needs to be done for preparation.
- Once the repairs are complete, the home should be sanded and sealed for more protection.
- Surface conditioner is a substance applied to ready the home for the remaining layers.
- A priming coat is provided to protect/seal the home against moisture and is also a stain blocker.
- A thermal barrier is designed to regulate the temperatures in extreme heat situations.
- A top coat is the final step that provides siding flexibility and prevents surface cracking. This coat can be of a color of your choice.
Liquid siding is more expensive, in some cases, up to four times a regular paint job. Prices range from $3 to $6 per square-foot. The labor cost is also extensive. The warranty is great, but since it is a newer material, it is unclear whether the 25-year warranty is sufficient.
If the siding is not applied correctly, the siding can be damaged. If any area of the home is not covered with a sufficient amount of the liquid, moisture can become trapped between the siding and the surface of the home.
Liquid siding is a project that should be done professionally because it entails an intense process to prepare the surface, followed by many applications of various other substances. It is of utmost importance to check credentials of the hired contractor. Inquire about guarantees and warranties provided by the hired company. It is a huge investment and it has to be done right the first time.
For more information, contact Don Snider Roofing or a similar company.